HAIR LOSS TERMS
Understanding the many causes of hair loss and hair thinning
- Alopecia Areata – patchy hair loss
- Androgenic Alopecia – male and/or female pattern hair loss
- Cicatricial Alopecia – scarring alopecia – the hair follicles scar and prevent hair growth
- Traction Alopecia – excessive rubbing or pressure to scalp
- Involutional Alopecia – general thinning of hair – hair cycles slow down and remain in the resting phase longer than usual (usually due to aging)
- Alopecia Universalis or Alopecia Totalis – complete, overall hair loss on entire body
- Telogen Effluvium – hair loss due to stress
- Tinea Capitis – ringworm of scalp
- Trichotillomania – urge to pull hair out
- Thyroid Hair Loss – due to condition itself, or the medication to treat the condition
- Monilethrix – an inherited abnormality of the hair shaft that is extremely rare, bad hair follicles that cause the hair to break off when it gets about ¼” long. Any irritation, such as where the hair is slept on, causes extreme damage and bald spots.
Hair loss can be caused by many other conditions, including hormonal conditions, medicines, cancer treatments, and other factors.
We at Headline Studio LLC are available for a complimentary, confidential consultation to meet with you and solve your hair loss challenges, regardless of the factor involved.